Text 911 for Emergencies
That’s right, calling is now a thing of the past as in the upcoming months, a new initiative from the FCC called “Next Generation 911” codenamed NG11. NG11 started to develop after the Virginia Tech shooting when students were unable to send text messages to law enforcement officials to help.
NG11 will allow anyone to send texts, pictures, or even videos to law enforcement answering points while developing location accuracy mechanisms to help pinpoint callers faster.
The 5 step plan of NG11 is:
- Develop location accuracy mechanisms to help pinpoint people’s location
- Enable consumers to send text, photo, and video
- Facilitate the completion and implementation of NG11 technical standards
- Develop a NG11 government framework
- Develop a NG11 funding model
NG11 will bring law enforcement technology to a new level and just goes to show how much more of a “tech world” we live in today.
Posted on August 11, 2011, in technology and tagged government ng11, NG11, send photos to police, send texts to police, send video to police, texting police stations. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.